DIY HOME APOTHECARY SERIES
MAKING A WILD POWER BROTH
The Medicinal Herbs and Mushrooms in your Power Broth kit have a long history of use in winter-time to build immunity and overall health. Add the blend to your favourite broth recipe or as a base for cooking liquid. I usually also make up some small ice cubes for adding to dishes or as a quick pick-me-up with Miso or Tamari. Note: The mushrooms in this blend will impart a slight bitter flavour so you may wish to test before using as a base.
Ingredients in Your Power Broth Kit
- Reishi and Birch Polypore Mushrooms
- Astragalus Root
- Calendula Flower
- Seaweed (Bull Kelp and/or Macro)
Recipe for Making Medicinal Bone Broth:
1. Place 3-4 lbs of bones-ideally a mix of cartilage, marrow, bones from chicken, fish, beef, lamb into crock pot, instant pot or large pot on stove;
2. Add enough cold water to cover the bones by a couple of inches (approx. 2-3 litres).
3. Add 2 Tbsps of Apple Cider (or other) Vinegar;
4. Add 30 gr Power Broth herbs;
5. Optional: Let stand for 30 minutes to 1 hour then bring to simmer;
6. Simmer for: chicken -6–48 hrs; beef -12–72 hrs.
7. Optional: 2-3 hours before finishing the stock add vegetables, such as: carrots, celery, onion; and aromatic herbs such as: garlic, ginger, onion, parsley.
8. Strain then freeze or store in refrigerator. Broth may be frozen for months or kept in the refrigerator for about 5 days.